Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Intermission: Superior Spider-Man #2 and Other Updates

Greetings, ladies and gentlemen.  I realize it's been awhile since I've made another post, but the past couple of days have left me swamped with all sorts of other projects and personal things I had to take care of.  Not to worry though, I'll be putting up another entry in the near future, which will be my thoughts on Brian Michael Bendis' run so far on All-New X-Men.  I've written at least two-thirds of it already, so I hope to have it done relatively soon.  

Likewise, I'm also going to be putting up some analysis on various movies--particularly bad movies.  But rather than just merely critique why they're bad, I'm also going to give myself a little challenge: if I had somehow been the one assigned the task of making the film, what would I have made instead of the film we actually got?  This also gives me an opportunity to ask you folks for any suggestions on which films you would like me to try this out on, although I do have a few in mind already.

In the meantime, in order to tide you folks over, I'm going give my very brief thoughts on Superior Spider-Man #2, which, as of this posting, has just come out today.  And believe it or not, there's actually some good news, What is it you might ask?  


So yes, Mary Jane is no longer under the threat of being the victim of "rape by fraud" from Doctor Octopus.  Nor did Doc Ock, despite his best efforts, succeed in his many attempts to seduce Mary Jane into bed.  In fact, I'm rather surprised and impressed that, due to having developed feelings for MJ himself, Doc Ock ends up doing the right and honorable thing by letting her go--much to Ghost Peter and MJ's mutual surprise.  So I sincerely congratulate Slott and commend him for not going forward in what could've been a very damaging development in regards to Doc Ock's continual "Freaky Friday" machinations.

However, you're probably wondering "Wait a sec?  How come Doc Ock all of the sudden has feelings for Mary Jane now?"  Well, unfortunately, therein lies the bad news.  Because earlier in the same issue, this happens:


That's right--what is being heavily implied (albeit not explicitly shown) is that Doc Ock spent the rest of the evening doing some "handiwork" while he was reliving Peter's romantic memories of Mary Jane.  Which also means he technically borrowed a page from "Skip Westcott."  And if you think I'm reading too much into this, here's what we see happens the following morning:


But I guess this is just like the "Aunt May" scene in Amazing Spider-Man #699 in which, because it's not actually shown on the page, it's only "whatever baggage [I] brought with [me]" and that "any icky/disgusting things that took place were things that [my] imagination came up with."

And in case you're wondering, Carlie Cooper's pointed "Peter" does indeed mean that she knows, or at least strongly suspects that "Peter" is really Doc Ock in disguise.  But does she tell MJ, the one person who deserves to know, anything at all about her suspicions?  Of course not!

 
Yeah, some "friend" you are, Carlie.  Why did you break-up with Peter again?  Oh yeah, it was because Peter was keeping the fact he was Spider-Man from you, and you don't like how your friends and loved ones keep secrets from you, do you?  Hypocritical much?

I could go into a bit more in-depth about the more problematic aspects this issue raises, but long-time  blogger K-Box--who isn't shy in the least about his apprehension towards the current state of Spider-Man comics since One More Day--has pretty much done a more in-depth job of doing just that.  Forewarning, he's much more colorful in usage of the English language than I am.

For a silver lining (and there's actually some other good aspects about this issue, by the way) I'd say it's a rather tarnished one if you ask me.  But feel free to disagree and leave your comments.